Monday, December 21, 2009

Solstice



I’m sitting here at the computer wrapped in a blanket with a hot cup of tea in front of me. It’s cold and gloomy outside, and not so much better inside. Until I moved into this house I’d spent a good portion of my adult life heating with wood. Sometimes it was my only heat source. While I’d gotten tired of hauling wood – and making sure I had a good supply in before the first cold days – I’ve never fallen out of love with a good, roaring fire. Forced air heat doesn’t compare. There’s nothing to cozy up to and you can’t warm your toes on a heating vent in the ceiling. It doesn’t even look warm.

There are all sorts of reasons not to have wood fire; it’s bad for the environment, you have to cut down trees for fuel, it’s messy and time-consuming. But right now, honestly, I don’t care. I miss a fire. It’s really the only way I know to make a house toasty warm and welcoming during the dark winter days.

And here we are at the Winter Solstice - the shortest day of the year, the longest night, the day the light begins its return. I like to do a little ritual every year at this time to welcome warmth back to the world, inviting the light into my home. It makes me appreciate the winter more and keeps me aware that spring will come, no matter how dark and cold it is until then.

Until then I’ll light lots of candles and drink cup after cup of tea.

5 comments:

  1. Good little ritual. I like that!
    I lift my cup (clink).
    Here's to the Winter Solstice!
    Now I'm going to go light some candles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tradition, Cara. The winter darkness can really affect me if I am not careful to ward it off. Here's to brighter (and lighter) days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandson was born on the winter solstice. It's such a hopeful day - looking forward to longer, warmer days. It symbolizes rebirth.

    Candles and hot tea - nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so pretty. I love it.

    Happy Holidays, lovely.

    :) ox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything about candlelight - even just the ritual of lighting the candle seems comforting to me.

    I'm glad the longer days are on the way, even though it's still hard to see the concrete evidence :)

    I hope you're having a peaceful holiday.

    ReplyDelete

Let's start a conversation. I try to reply to all comments.